[Foundation-l] tech team - content community bottleneck

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 21:25:54 UTC 2008

In every business, there /needs/ to be a go-to in between developers and end
users, plain and simple. That's not to say that end users are necessarily
tech-illiterate, or that the techies can't "dumb it down" for the end users. All
it says is that the job of the developer and the community are two different
entities looking at different goals. Sometimes (obviously, such as this), there
is a communications breakdown in between the two groups. People begin
talking past each other, and a lot of information gets lost in the process. In
my organization where I work, we have 1 or 2 people per department who's job
it is to work with IT. IT goes to them when they need to get tech stuff done
within a department, and the departments go to them when they need things
from IT.

Such a position would benefit the Foundation, I would think. Someone who is
tech-oriented but can still work with the end user (in this case, the
communities).
Facilitation of new features by developers isn't necessarily hard when the end
user makes it clear what they want.

Chad H.