[Foundation-l] Litigation costs

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jan 11 10:51:09 UTC 2008

Anthony wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2008 7:26 AM, Mike Godwin <mnemonic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Then I think the obvious next question is, how much money (in dollars
>> or Euros) should we be willing to allocate every year to the defense
>> of cases we believe we will likely win?
>>
> What's wrong with just forwarding the DMCA takedown notice to the
> original contributor and letting that person decide whether or not to
> issue a put-back notice?
I would go farther than that.  All properly formulated takedown notices
with which the Foundation complies should be made public.  The right to
issue put-back notices is not restricted to the original contributor of
the material; anybody can launch such an action.  Let the users accept
responsibility for the content.

If the Foundation has an issue that it wants to fight it simply doesn't
comply with the takedown order.

I would put nothing or only minimal amounts into a litigation war
chest.  That kind of move only tells would-be plaintiffs that we're
itching for a fight.

Ec