[Foundation-l] Fair use being badly abused on en.wikipedia

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 00:37:51 UTC 2008

> > If everyone who got into this argument went out and took a free
> > picture a day to replace fair use ones we use now, we'd have replaced
> > a lot of the ones we can actually practically replace.  Apparently it
> > is easier to come argue here about it over and over again rather than
> > actually solve it?
>
> The vast majority of the remaining fair use images are not possible to
> replace with free images.

And how many of them are replaceable with text, or replaceable by not
having the pretty picture in the first place?

There is an awful lot of material we use and justify by saying "well,
we couldn't use anything else" - we should be very wary of believing
this to be a justification that we *need* it.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk