[Foundation-l] Development of EDP of Korean Wikipedia

Ryu Cheol rcheol at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 18:09:21 UTC 2008

Dear Mr. Godwin,

I found that you are Legal Coordinator of the Wikimedia foundation.
And I send a copy to mailing list for my possible misunderstanding.

I'm an editor on Korean Wikipeida. Last year you established Exemption
Doctrine Policy. According to the second action of the resolution 6 of
EDP, I assumed the foundation would help the development of EDP of
Korean Wikipedia. I want to ask what kind of assistants we could
receive from the foundation in the situation below?

On Korean Wikipedia, we discussed about establishing EDP at the
following page since lat July. http://tinyurl.com/332fyb
Probably we finished the discussion, and I think so soon. Reading some
debates about fair use abuse on en.wikipeida, certain editors think we
need legal review process for avoiding troubles after we finish our
editing on Korean EDP. Probably for this review, we need a lawyer who
knows the copyright law of Korea where most of editors are considered
to be resident in. I'm not sure that we could motivate a proper lawyer
to volunteer.

Korean Wikipedia strictly applied GFDL, logos such as corporate
symbols. We really need deploying EDP such as fair use to poster the
growth of Korean Wikipedia.

I want to hear guidance from the foundation and I hope the foundation
could help the development of an EDP as you resoluted.

Sincerely yours,
Cheol - Ryuch at en.wikipedia