[Foundation-l] Fair use being badly abused on en.wikipedia

Petr Kadlec petr.kadlec at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 13:44:14 UTC 2008

Hi,

On 08/01/2008, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is not the Wikimedia Foundation that operates on the assumption that Fair
> use and the GFDL are incompatible, it is the English language Wikipedia that
> does.
> […]
> This means that
> Fair Use is mainly argued for English language content. The value of Fair
> Use is therefore not as great as the proponents want us to believe.

I believe you are mixing use of fair use images (and EDP) with fair
use as a much broader concept. Fair use is (AFAICT, IANAL) an instance
of "fair practice" mentioned even in the Berne Convention. Without
fair use, you couldn't even include textual quotations. And an
encyclopedia that does not cite anyone is hardly a valuable
encyclopedia, IMHO.

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]