[Foundation-l] Fair use being badly abused on en.wikipedia

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 19:17:46 UTC 2008

On 07/01/2008, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 1:06 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > That said, even what is permitted by law seems to be more restrictive than
> > > what is currently occurring on the English Wikipedia.
> >
> > Really? If that's the case, then Mike needs to step in and tell us.
>

> Woah there. Mike Godwin is not your attorney.
>
> He has more important (and less risky) tasks than following your
> contribs and wagging his finger at you for breaking the law.
>
> When you publish material on Wikipedia ensuring that you are
> conforming with the law is your responsibility.

I haven't uploaded any fair use images, I'm not asking for personal
legal advice. I'm asking for legal advice for the good of the project.
Yes, the WMF may be protected from legal liability for the actions of
users, but it's still a legal issue which affects a foundation
project, so it seems like a reasonable thing for the WMF legal counsel
to give advice on.