[Foundation-l] IYL'08: Moratorium on deleting language projects?

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Mon Jan 7 15:33:07 UTC 2008

Hi Jesse and Gerard,

thanks for you valuable comments. Actually, I needed some time to think
about the issue.

I appreciate your points and I can leave with the fact that there are no
written policies, and that requirements are slightly different from
project to project. I also see a great improvement in the recent months,
for instance, a large group of incubator projects has been given the
conditionally approved status etc.

Still, I also see that people are desperate to leave comments on all
available discussion pages, claiming that though the projects they are
promoting fulfilled all the requirements still no decision is coming after
months. This may sound a technical problem but in fact for a smaller
language opening a project is a big deal which gets media attention and
helps a lot to attract new contributors. Even a technical delay of a
couple of months for creation of an already approved wp may have some
negative media coverage.

My understanding (please correct me if I am wrong on the point) is that
this is happening since the manpower behind the decision is insufficient:
the committee is not big enough, some of the members of the committee are
not active, and in the end only several members have to do all the job.
Whatever excellent these members are, this slows down things enormously.

This brings an obvious question: if the members are neither elected nor
appointed by an authoritative body, why do not you just take more people
who would be willing to do the job? I am not sure what the optimum size of
the committee would be, but I think at the present stage just recruiting
more members would really help speeding out things and at least sorting
out the requests which are there for months without any changes.

Another thing is dealing with the existing projects. I would still find it
more logical if the same body deals with the creation of new projects and
audit of existing projects, even if the criteria might be different for
the two things. I am not sure who has to decide, and it would definitely
require more manpower, but such development would definitely make sense
for me.

Cheers,
Yaroslav