[Foundation-l] The WikBack

luke brandt shojokid at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 19:20:45 UTC 2008

The Uninvited Co., Inc wrote:
> The WikBack, a discussion website I started a week ago as an alternative
> to wikien-l, already has over 100 members and a post volume greater than
> that of wikien-l.
>
> Since WMF-related topics are starting to come up, I have added a
> separate forum for them.  Please consider joining.
>
> http://www.wikback.com
>
> The site is noncommercial and advertising free.  I am paying the hosting
> fees and other expenses out of my own pocket.
>
> Steve Dunlop/UninvitedCompany

Hi and congrats, Even Jimbo registered ;) You'll recall that one of the
site hosts criticized him for an ad hominem:

http://www.wikback.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=208#Post208

and it would have been nice if Jimbo answered my earlier point in the
same thread:

http://www.wikback.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=178#Post178

or could answer it here. There have certainly been some heated
discussion topics. Mindful of the recent Jim62 arbitration case, and the
'what constitutes a legal threat' debate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration/Jim62sch/Workshop

and taking the broadest possible interpretation, would you consider that
you've had *any* 'legal threats' in respect of the site?

Once again, congratulations - you entered a minefield in starting a site
such as that. Or as Matthew put it:- "IRC channels, off-wiki discussion
forums, mailing lists, whatever.. whatever their initial intentions may
be, serve as refuge for trolls and disruptive users."

But hoping it will, in spite of that, prove to be worthwhile. -- Luke