[Foundation-l] [Announcement] New Head of Business Development: Kul Wadhwa

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Sat Jan 5 02:48:55 UTC 2008

Casey Brown wrote:
> We've already begun expanding: the job openings have already been
> posted, we've already moved the office.  These are more "done-deals"
> that I am sure Anthere would have taken into account when saying what
> she did.  I could be wrong, of course.
>
> On Jan 4, 2008 9:04 PM, Chad <innocentkiller at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Doesn't mean we have enough money to suddenly start expanding the staff.
>> Just means the lights aren't going dark for another year. Enough money to
>> sustain and enough money to expand are two different things.
>>
>> Chad H.
>>

>> On Jan 4, 2008 8:58 PM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe see this might give a little insight?
>>>
>>> <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Summary_of_a_year-_2007>, 5th line:
>>>
>>> "We successfully were able to collect enough funds to run through the
>>> year, whilst retaining our independence;"

Yeah, it's a reasonable question, Chad. And the answer is pretty simple:
the purpose of hiring a biz dev person is to make money. That role
creates revenue, it is not a net cost.

All the initial hires fall into one of two categories: they are either
basically core & essential (we cannot function without, for example, an
accountant). Or they are revenue-generating (e.g., the biz dev position,
the fundraising position).

I certainly aspire, later, to be able to expand into hiring people whose
work will be more directly mission-focused - for example, people to
create distribution partnerships with other non-profits, or people to
support community members who want to write grant proposals. But the
priority obviously needs to be the core stuff.