[Foundation-l] Allemanic and Albanian - conditional approval for Gheg

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 16:14:02 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Before we had a policy on what languages we would accept, it was not
uncommon for people to vote for projects and codes that were manifestly
wrong. As a consequence projects were started that would not be accepted
under the new policy. Some projects like the Siberian were so obvious that
sufficient opposition was generated leading to the ultimate; closure. This
closure was not so much for linguistic reasons but more because of the
violations against Wikipedia principles like NPOV.

When the language committee started, all the existing projects were not what
it should or could consider. There are existing projects that are
problematic for all kinds of reasons. As it is not the remit of the LC, I
have argued on several occasions for a global arbitration committee. I see
this as a place where problems with projects themselves can be addressed. As
it is each language project is independent and decides on its own policies,
we have situations where people find that they are not willing to accept
this independence for all kinds of reasons. Not having a way to channel and
address this is in my opinion bad as it leads to nasty situations.

Thanks,
    GerardM