[Foundation-l] Allemanic and Albanian - conditional approval for Gheg

Ilario Valdelli valdelli at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 15:44:50 UTC 2008

I agree and in this case read the page: http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/scope.asp#M

At point 1 you can read: "There is one variety that is more developed
and that tends to be used for wider communication..."
At point 2 you can read: "There is a common written form used for
multiple closely-related languages"
The point 3 is not applicable to Albanian

The use of "metalanguage" is another forcing mode to justify some
cohabitations of languages.

The Albanian is a *written* language to use instead of:

    * Arbëreshë Albanian [aae]
    * Arvanitika Albanian [aat]
    * Gheg Albanian [aln]
    * Tosk Albanian [als]

but in any case points 1 and 2 are not fully appliable because these
three languages are not "closely-related" (point 2) and Gheg seems to
become a written language in Kossovo, for example.

In any case Tosk speakers will use Albanian to write, Gheg is becoming
a written language (and probably it will have an indipendent evolution
with an increase of written uses), Arvanitika or Arbëreshë speakers
probably have a spoken language so different from Tosk that they will
look for a different written way or in any case for a different
dictionary.

IMHO the differentiation between Tosk and Albanian will drive the
Wikipedia's communities to ask for an integration in the future
because the differences are not much.

In any case I agree that the rule for the DNS name must be well
defined. If any Wikipedia has got this denomination: http:// + ISO
code+ wikipedia.org, there is not a justification for a different way.

Ilario