[Foundation-l] The foundations of the Wikimedia Foundation (was: Wikimedia Council)

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 12:05:36 UTC 2008

Sebastian Moleski wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008 11:35 AM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> And I feel like suggesting that we should actually take the opportunity
>> to create at the same time
>> * a wikicouncil parliament type and
>> * a meta arbcom
>>
>> I think most of us can rather well imagine what the meta arbcom role
>> will be; the difficulty will be to define working relationships with the
>> various local arbcoms.
>>

> I actually have some trouble trying to imagine what the meta arbcom would
> do. Can you shed some light on that or refer me to related proposals on-wiki
> or elsewhere?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sebastian

Okay.
Essentially, we have a problem when a vandal or at least a problematic
person, is active on several projects at the same time. Cross wiki fighting.

What happens is that the stewards are called to the rescue, and asked to
make decisions, which sometimes are at arbitration level, or which may
conflict with local policies. Officially, stewards are applicants. But
sometimes, they have to run into decision making.

There has been an embryo of a proposal here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Arbitration_committee

Ant