[Foundation-l] The foundations of the Wikimedia Foundation (was: Wikimedia Council)

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 10:35:35 UTC 2008

effe iets anders wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'd like to thank Florence for bringing the issue up of the
> wikicouncil, and I thank Erik for his views. I think that the
> discussion has shifted by now so much, that we are no longer
> discussing some council that represents the view of hte community
> anymore, but we are discussing the very fundamentals of the Wikimedia
> Foundation. I am sorry this will become a very long email, but I am
> afraight I will need a lot of space to explain what I mean, and also
> to go through the whole spectrum I'd like to.
>
> I think Erik has a very valid point to state that we can't see the
> Wikicouncil as a seperate structure, just another addendum to our
> system of Board of Trustees, Advisory Board, Committees, Staff and
> community. If you add a "power", an "authority" to a system, and
> Newton's third law of motion comes into play. If you add such an
> authority, this will most certainly have influence on the other
> authorities present. Hence I do think that the question whether the
> community representatives are still required is a valid one. However,
> I do not quite agree yet that this also means that they have to
> disappear.
>
> But let's begin with the beginning. The Board of Trustees (Please note
> the difference with the Board of Directors, I think nomen est omen
> here) is the final and uttermost authority within the Wikimedia
> Foundation. The Board of Trustees sets rules and guidelines for the
> staff to work with, appoints the Executive Director, sets the strategy
> for the Foundation, where to go etc, can write and rewrite the bylaws,
> can appoint it's own members and can delegate authority to other
> bodies (which it did for instance to the Executive Director).
>
> Of course it *is* possible to change the bylaws in such a way, that
> this final authority would be with another body. This is for instance
> the case with a membership organization, an association. The final
> authority is then with the members of that association, the General
> Assemblee. However, the Wikimedia Foundation does not have any
> membership any more, so I think that for the near future at least, and
> I doubt it will change actually, we are bound to a
> foundation-structure, with the Board of Trustees as the Final
> Authority.
>
> If we consider this, and we bare in mind that the main assets of the
> Wikimedia Foundation are the Wikimedia Projects. And we consider that
> these projects are mainly build around the communities that belong to
> these projects. Especially if we consider how big of an influence the
> Wikimedia Foundation has on the lives of these people, who have
> dedicated a big part of their free time to these projects, I think it
> would only be fair to let these people have a say, even a big say in
> the final authority of this Wikimedia Foundation. But of course it is
> even more important that these people have a large influence on the
> [...]

Lodewijk, as always, very thoughtful email. Thank you for it.

A couple of thoughts

You outlined very well three different potential roles in the wikicouncil
* an advisory board with community members
* a sort of tribunal, which would handle disputes project wide (meta arbcom)
* a sort of parliament, developing policies wikimedia wide

There might be a fourth role,
* development role (proposing projects, and looking for organizations
who could help fund/implement them). Though I think this one could be
"parliament type)

You outline very well that the three roles rather requires different
skills and personnalities. I agree with this.

And I feel like suggesting that we should actually take the opportunity
to create at the same time
* a wikicouncil parliament type and
* a meta arbcom

I think most of us can rather well imagine what the meta arbcom role
will be; the difficulty will be to define working relationships with the
various local arbcoms.

As for the wikicouncil, I stick to the idea that it should not be
advisory only, but definitly have a a decision making authority.

I think advice will occur more or less naturally from this group, or
from the current advisory group. It might be worth it to add some
community members to the current advisory group.

Do not forget to check the meta page on wikicouncil :-)

Ant