[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Legal obligation to report

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 21:41:41 UTC 2008

Has anyone mentioned what portion of the UCMJ this is under? At least
reading it might give us a better idea instead of shooting in the
dark.
Chad
*******
I didn't recall seeing that in the UCMJ so I did a little basic research.
OrangeMarlin appears to be mistaken about the source.  He states:

*UCMJ makes no distinction between using the internet on or off duty. It
specifically states that ''D-2. Users will employ Internet access for
official, unclassified U.S. Government business only.**''*
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Orangemarlin&diff=181470661&oldid=181470568

I located that statement along with the D-2 article designation not in the
UCMJ but in the official Army Internet Policy.
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:iB5a-rJWcL8J:www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/ar380-19/appendix_d.htm+%22Users+will+employ+Internet+access+for+official,+unclassified+U.S.+Government+business+only.+%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Here's the UCMJ for comparison: no mention of the Internet.
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/ucmj.htm

So since Videmus Omnia says he's a member of the U.S. Air Force, the Army
regulation wouldn't apply to him.  It's entirely possible that the Air Force
might have a corresponding policy; I really couldn't say.

When I was in the Navy it certainly wasn't a safe assumption to suppose that
personal use of Navy computers was improper.  It was commonplace for bases
to operate computer labs for that very purpose - they were often in
recreational centers or base-run coffee houses.  A ship of any size at all
generally had a crew library with several computers.  We signed an
agreement that forebade us from downloading pornography and some other
obviously problematic activities, but otherwise we were free to do what we
wanted online during off-duty hours.

-Durova