[Foundation-l] Returning to Foundation-L

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 05:31:50 UTC 2008

Welcome back, Mike!
/me types carefully in this turn.

On Feb 2, 2008 5:35 AM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Michael Bimmler writes:
>
> >  Austin and I have discussed the particular comment with Gregory quite
> > extensively and, for the record, he elaborated on his comments in
> > http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2008-January/037795.html
> > and clarified his intention.  From a list moderator's POV, I consider
> > this "case" dealt with.
>
> I respect Greg's attempt to respond to my departure, and I hope my
> decision to leave for a while is not a cause of any lasting grief.
>
> I will say that, in my view, Greg fundamentally (ha!) misunderstood
> what I was trying to say about the religious nature of certain kinds
> of free-culture issues and discussions -- I wasn't saying that "the
> other side" was any more religious or fanatical than "my" side
> (whatever that is) might be. I was instead trying to compare the
> internecine squabbles here with what seem to me to be their closest
> parallel in the offline world.  We're all adherents of the same free-
> culture doctrines, I believe -- where we differ is in how we choose to
> spread the word.

I took it basically in this way - while I compared your saying with
one of early Johann Gottlieb Fichte. Or of young Schellings under his
influence: they said there could be only two ways for philosophy,
dogmatism and criticism. And the nature of your thinking determined
(not your free will choice) which way you will choose. Both ways are
according to them philosophical, even they are incompatible and
therefore disputed on their validity. So as religion, as a way of
thinking about Gothead and all struggles for "free knowledge" in a
modern practical variation of pursue knowledge. Probably.

--
KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)