[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Apr 28 02:23:26 UTC 2008

Florence Devouard wrote:
> The chapter seats comes from several considerations.
> Essentially, the mission of the WMF is to work in coordination with a
> network of chapters. The mission is shared between all of our
> organizations, and the WMF controls certain assets needed by the
> chapters (trademarks), which made the partnership a certain one-sided
> collaboration. Providing seats to chapters is both a way to foster a
> real coordination between all of our organizations, and a way to
> recognize the chapter role in the great scheme of things.

This may be a laudable long-term goal to aim at, but for the medium
term, the vast majority of countries are not represented by  a
chapter---and those regions that do have chapters are already
disproportionately well-represented. So this will, if anything, tend to
increase the disparity in representation.

For the record, this is the current chapter distribution:
Europe - 9
East Asia - 2
Middle East - 1
South America - 1