[Foundation-l] Three fundraising job openings

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Fri Apr 18 05:28:08 UTC 2008

Dan Rosenthal wrote:
> I don't disagree with you. Though I think that starting with one and
> slowly work their way might be an alternative, I don't see anything
> wrong with three fundraising staff members. I'm just saying we don't
> even have them yet, so it's a bit early to speculate on them.

For the major gifts position and the community giving position we're
looking for a rather different set of skills, because the approaches
required are quite distinct. The skillsets aren't likely to overlap much
in one person, so it doesn't make sense to try to shoehorn
responsibility for both into the first plausible candidate. That is in a
sense the staffing approach that has gotten Wikimedia into no end of
problems in the past.

I expect Sue may fill one or another of these positions more quickly,
depending on the applicant pool. But effectively moving forward with a
diversified fundraising strategy requires all of them in the end.

--Michael Snow