[Foundation-l] A PC instead of a VC

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Mon Apr 7 18:16:26 UTC 2008

Thank you, Mike. :-)

In a message dated 4/7/2008 2:13:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mgodwin at wikimedia.org writes:

First,  please don't call me "Mr. Godwin" -- makes me feel like I'm in
court.

Second, my response is also speculation, although it's  legally well-
informed, I think.

A plaintiff looking for someone to  sue might well decide upon the
Project Council as a defendant. Suing  the Council would be hard if
it's not a formal entity, but easy if  it is one (e.g., if it's
formally connected to the Foundation or  independently incorporated).
In all cases, individual members of the  Project Council, whether it's
an informal or formal entity, might be  sued.

Would such a lawsuit succeed?  I can't tell on the basis of  what I
know now.  But I prefer a world in which it's both  difficult to sue
the Foundation and difficult (or unprofitable) to  sue individual
editors and contributors. Depending on how you define  a "Program
Council," the new entity might change that a  bit.

--Mike