[Foundation-l] Update on the process of new projects / new languages

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 19:54:23 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Today I have had the pleasure of indicating that two request for new Wikis
are "eligible". They are both Wikiversities, one in Finnish and one in
Hungarian. Given the rules for new projects, they are clearly eligible and I
was pleased to find that both languages had most of the localisation already
been done. It is a pleasure because it means that all the projects in these
languages benefit from the work done.

What I find really interesting is that three academic institutions are going
to be involved in the Finnish Wikiversity. This gives on the face of it the
project a flying start. :) It is also something quite special to have
organisations involved in WMF projects.

At the bottom of the request for new languages page, you find the projects
that are "closed". This means that they are either rejected or approved or
created. Closed is very much seen from the perspective of the language
committee as for the projects themselves it very much starts when the
projects are created. The problem I want to share with you is that for
proper closure, approved projects have to be created.

For the language committee we are about to consider again what projects may
be given approval. It is important for the health of this process that once
a project is approved by the board it is created, my question is what more
can we do to ensure that the process is completed in a timely fashion?

Thanks,
    GerardM

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wikiversity_Hungarian
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wikiversity_Finnish_2