[Foundation-l] Allow new wikis in extinct languages?

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 06:27:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:31 AM, Jesse Martin (Pathoschild)
>  <pathoschild at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > >  As long as there is
>  >  >  a notable -contemporary- literature, vocabulary problems will be
>  >  >  minimal.
>  >  >
>  >
>  >  What is "notable"?
>
>  Notable enough to have a Featured Article about [[Modern Latin
>  literature]] or [[Modern Coptic literature]] on English Wikipedia or
>  another major-language Wikipedia.

I think this proposed criteria is too subjective and naive. Specially
regarding to the fact English Wikipedia is not always good at
humanities, in particular non European literatures.  Having a FA may
too be occasionally I'm afraid.

But I like the idea of  "notable authors". They are notable since they
have a decent size of readership. It means their writings are read and
surrounded by the reader community which the language in question is
actively, at least, read and have a possibility to be written again.
And even if we still use Wikipedia again, "having an article of that
author" is a less opportunity driven criteria, I think.

--
KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)