[Foundation-l] wikicouncil

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 01:34:37 UTC 2006

On 11/22/06, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Maybe you are confusing board and staff here.

yes an no without board authority staff would have a somewhat different role.

> As long as we have an election system of some type, I feel there is
> little chance of that happening.

The board can to a large degree controls who has dealings with it. If
you limit elections to people who have had past roles in the area
around the board then the baord can pretty much limit elections to
insiders only.

> If you say so...

There would have been little point if you consider that most of them
had solid editing records so there was no way to use an editing record
to put yourself appart for another candidates.

> That comment makes no sense since I was myself elected. Afaik, I can
> work with Erik. I have already shared workloads with Oscar. And I do not
> think I ever had any trouble with Mindspillage. I did work with Kelly
> (something not everyone could claim being able to). Etc...
> But whether I am able to work with this person or not is irrelevant. I
> will not be forever on the board. I will quit it probably sooner than
> later. But I hope the Foundaiton will be there for many years to come,
> along with a network of more and more numerous chapters. I will have
> given at least 3 years of my time to the Foundation. I hope that this
> work is not given in vain.

Even if there are 9 places (I tend to feel that would be getting a bit
too big) the comunity will elect the people it wants. If you belive
that the people the comunity wants are a problem then the problem is
very serious indeed.

> Uh. Look again. In all good faith.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Election_candidates_2006
>
> In France, we do a screening for presidential elections. Contrariwise to
> the USA, we have direct elections. But our candidates must receive the
> support of at least 500 political persona before having their candidacy
> accepted.

That isn't so much screening as haveing nomination procedures. It's
bottem up rather than top down and meant to keep out frivilious
candidates only. It does not mean that the goverment can hold any sway
over who is elected. you could not use it to inforce "people who have
had dealings with the area around the board only" if the community
decided to elect someone else.

However such a system tends to be buracratic and requires effort to
run and thus should not be adopted until there are too many candidates
running (no I don't know what too many is other than 60+ probably is
too many)

--
geni