[Foundation-l] RfC: Mission & Vision Statements of the Wikimedia Foundation

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 17:34:13 UTC 2006

> On 11/20/06, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Utterly and totally. I really don't see a case for having removed it at all.
> >

> Forces us to do original reseach in defineing what is a language and
> in some cases creating a written script.

"No original research" is a policy of the Wikimedia projects, not a
cast-iron operating procedure for the Wikimedia Foundation. WMF's goal
isn't to work on language preservation, but if we have a thriving oral
language we try to build a prooject from, and WMF's work happens to be
the impetus for providing an orthography for it... well, so be it.
There are worse things that could happen, and it isn't some kind of
betrayal of our core principles.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk