[Foundation-l] [Wikipedia-l] contents under education/information licenses

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 16:21:16 UTC 2006

On 11/21/06, David Monniaux <David.Monniaux at free.fr> wrote:
[snip]
> Most people we're dealing with in the "real world" don't know what "free" as in "free software means".
> What we propose to them is radically outside their frame of mind.
[snip]

But I'm talking to *you* and the members of the various lists
copied...  Not to the general public, I would use different language
and perhaps a different argument altogether with a differing audience.

When I pointed out that material related to the ESA should be Free I
wasn't attempting to make some grand argument about freedom, but
rather a more pragmatic reflection on the nature of space programs:
They aren't in business to generate pretty pictures, their work is
done (largely) with public monies, and as part of science the entire
world should be able to learn and benefit from their work in many ways
without discrimination.  This is the same line of thinking which has
inspired statements like Jimmy's ten things that should be free
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Culture_movement#Wikimedia which,
btw, is an article that needs help.. that whole section is out of
place).

I would have elaborated more on my perspective, but from prior
discussions with you I didn't expect to sway you... rather I just
wanted to respond quickly before people were swayed by your
comparisons of logos to informative images, and claims that the US is
worlds apart from the rest of the world.

...I was honestly quite insulted by your off-list email, but I
understand what drove it, and I forgive you.

Thanks