[Foundation-l] [Wikipedia-l] contents under education/information licenses

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 15:37:40 UTC 2006

On 11/21/06, David Monniaux <David.Monniaux at free.fr> wrote:
[snip]
> There's apparently a big misunderstanding here ; please consider reading
> m:ESA_images .

I responded to your in depth on wikipedia-l, hopefully to reduce the
forest fire...

I wanted to comment publicly, however, that I think it is very unfair
of you to respond twice to me... One, your public reply, is more
friendly and the second your private reply far more aggressive.

I would not deny you the opportunity to respond with at least as much
intensity as I directed towards you, but if you maintain politeness in
public while making personal attacks my response will be to simply
begin forwarding your private messages to the list(s) prior to reading
them so the other parties will not fault me for being the more
aggressive party in the discussion.

Allow me to apologise for jumping right in with strong words after
your first message.  I understand this is a matter which you have
spent much on, and I do appreciate much of the work you have done.  I
hope you can understand why I might respond harshly to someone I've
previously debated on the importance of keeping our content free, when
he posts to the lists making what I saw to be a terribly unfair
argument.

Do you agree that it is unfair to compare the protection of our
trademarked logo to images of astronauts at work?

Do you agree that it is unfair to claim that the ESA is different from
NASA because the ESA uses contractors, when NASA also extensively uses
contractors?