[Foundation-l] mo.wikipedia

Marco Chiesa chiesa.marco at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 12:36:13 UTC 2006

Neil Harris wrote:

>Anthere wrote:
>

>>Hello
>>
>>Can someone make for the board a *short* and efficient summary of the
>>whole mo.wikipedia.org situation ?
>>Please, someone near-neutral, in an npov manner ?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Ant
>>

>As an outsider to this argument, I know little other than what I have
>read on the mailing list and in articles, so I apologise in advance for
>any inaccuracies, but I think it goes something like this:
>
>To a close approximation, Moldovan == Romanian, but written in Cyrillic,
>and is used in Moldova and Transnistria, which border Romania, and are
>closely historically and culturally related.  There are considerably
>fewer mo: speakers (3.4 M in Rep. Moldova, 0.5M in Transnistria) than
>ro: speakers (24 M).
>
>See [[Moldovan language]] for details.

As far I understand: Moldovan is written in Cyrillic only in
Transnistria, while the rest of Moldova switched to the Latin script
after gaining independence from the USSR; the Moldovan government states
that the official language is called Moldovan, and it's the same
language both in Moldova and Transnistria. Therefore, most of  the
Moldovan-speaking people have used Latin script for at least 15 years.
For this reason, they don't think it is correct that the wikipedia
called Moldovan uses Cyrillic. I understand they are ok to say Moldovan
and Rumanian are the same language.

Marco (Cruccone)