[Foundation-l] wikicouncil

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Nov 20 08:00:33 UTC 2006

Anthere wrote:

>Ray Saintonge wrote:
>

>>The Council would be made up of active Wikimedians, and could be
>>involved in the detailed co-ordination of projects in a way that best
>>assures and balances with the autonomy of each project.  It would have
>>limited decision making power within pre-defined parameters.
>>

>Nod.
>And *if* we decide so (and *this* of course is controversial), they
>could be a body elected board members.
>Or, if the board appoints some of its members, it could be the body
>suggesting a list of names (of wikipedians or of external people) to the
>board to pick up some future board members from it.

I think that it's important for the members of the proposed working
group to be open-minded about this.  I have never given that idea much
thought, but it's easy to see both good and bad in it.  The general
Wikimedia community needs to feel confident that the council is going to
protect the broad influence of the community rather than act like a
bunch of oligarchs.

Ec