[Foundation-l] Foundation logo : pain and suffering

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 23:06:17 UTC 2006

Imagine a person makes a photo of a sunflower field. There are several
sunflowers, some green stuff, light, insects... I am sure you would
agree it is a "copyrigtable" picture. There is a creative work here.

Then, imagine you put this image under GFDL.
As such, any derivative of the image ... must say under GFDL.

Now, imagine a new person comes and decide to pick up an element in the
image. Make a crop of a flower. Then remove all the background. Enhance
a bit the color. Smooth the borders. Add a pinch of light here. Darken a
bit there. There is a creative work here. And it is a derivative.

Should not it stay under GFDL ?

I'd say yes.

At best, you may consider it a sort of something under fair use.

But to claim it is not copyrightable is, at best, shocking.

Ant