[Foundation-l] RfC: Mission & Vision Statements of the Wikimedia Foundation

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Nov 16 19:10:06 UTC 2006

Brianna Laugher wrote:

>>== Vision Statement ==
>>
>>'''Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share
>>in the sum of all knowledge.'''
>>
>>Comment:
>>
>>One version from the Retreat contained the phrase "in their own
>>language" at the end, but we removed that later--I made the argument
>>that there are different ways to address language barriers, e.g. by
>>teaching another language like English and then giving access to
>>learning resources in that language. IMHO we should not explicitly
>>endorse or reject any particular _strategy_ of knowledge dissemination
>>in our vision statement.
>>

>The principle of multilinguality is what really gives Wikimedia
>*global* participation and therefore WMF a global voice and global
>influence. That is something amazing that I am not really aware of
>anyone else... anywhere... doing on the same scale. It deserves proper
>recognition -- I think the "in their own language" should be
>re-appended.

As much as agreeing with the retreat cabal may be contrary to this
curmudgeon's world view, I think that leaving "in their own language"
out is best.  Nevertheless, I find Erik's rationale somewhat
condescending and misleading.  The vision statement is not about the
role or importance of English, or any other language.  The statement
will presumably be translated (both linguistically and culturally) into
as many languages as required, where it strikes me as normal that every
person will imagine in the context of a world vision unique his own
language and culture.  We want a Yaqui person to imagine within the
context of a world not too dissimilar to that described by Castañeda.
Vision may not even be about language, so why restrict vision by
mentioning it.

In fact I would be inclined to shorten the statement even furtherr to

    '''Imagine a world in which every person can freely share all
    knowledge.'''

"Single", even if it's purpose is to be emphatic, is not necessary.
Some people could even draw the conclusion that marriage is the point in
life when we stop imagining. ;-)

"Person" strikes me as less coldly technical than "human being".

"The sum of" is a pointless redundancy and cliché.

Ec