[Foundation-l] Rules committee

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 08:56:10 UTC 2006

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Erik Moeller wrote:
>
>> On 11/10/06, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Essentially I agree. It all comes down to mature judgement, and who is
>>> capable of exercising it.  We have a lot of people who can too easily
>>> jump to conclusions.
>>>

>> Yes. One question is whether we want every language and project
>> community to develop its own policy on these matters, or whether this
>> is an area where it makes sense to have a single policy that is
>> localized. This goes for checkuser and oversight as well. Perhaps an
>> in-between solution makes sense, where the WMF requires that local
>> policies identify and propose a group that consists of the most
>> trusted users before granting these privileges on a language/project
>> level.
>>
> I can't address the technical requirements for someone with checkuser
> capacity, but technical competence is only one side of the coin.  Good
> judgement, trust and common sense are just as important.  The ideal
> checkuser is effective in both respects.
>
> Rule making on the wiki tends to be chaotic at best, to the point where
> the best way to develop a rule can be to make a rule and hope that
> nobody notices.  No-one can keep up with the process, or be certain of
> the circumstances when a rule was adopted.  Proposing changes can be an
> intimidating process.
>
> I would llike to propose a Rules Committee on the following bases.

You know that if something never happens, there must be a committee
behind it. Isn't that how the saying goes? :)

<snip>
>        3. Although membership at this stage would be relatively open,
</snip>

I have to disagree with the initial openness. We have too many process
wonks who would jump at the chance, and we'll end up only being allowed
to edit every second thursday when it's a prime number of days from the
vernal equinox of Triton...