[Foundation-l] Dual-Licensing Wiktionary :fr ?

Jerome Banal jerome.banal at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 16:11:24 UTC 2006

Hello Gerard,

Hmm, this is pretty adventurous, isn't it?
GPL is not compatible with GFDL and a poll to change a license of current
content is only valid if the license is entitled to the community as a
collaborative work and not to contributors like in the case of Wikimedia
projects. Otherwise, you should be only able to get edits made 100% by
people who agreed (but I guess, you know all that already).

Also, in some countries (France for example), there is a "database-specific
copyright law" that may apply on dictionaries (a structured list of
synonyms, translations and all being nothing more than a database for the
law) and which basically forbids to copy a "substantial amount" -both in
term of data fields and entries- of a database (if you read some French:
http://www.murielle-cahen.com/p_base_de_donnees.asp).

Thanks,
Jerome Banal