[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] Principles of organisation - who do we serve?

Erica Flynn fangaili at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 16:52:58 UTC 2006

In my opinion there are 2 basic problems with images:
1. Image copyright and various Wikimedia policies are very complicated. Most
people have no understanding of them or don't even know they exist.
2. (A lesser problem), people who just upload pictures of themselves for the
heck of it, with or without malicious intent. This includes vandals and
people who want a free webhost.

I'm an admin on en:wp and have done a fair share of image cleanup. But even
after reading the image policy pages multiple times, I still feel like I
only have maybe a 40% grasp on all the concepts. I don't think we can or
should make image policy "simpler" (for legal or whatever other
reasons), and I don't have any quick answers. We just have to remain
vigilant and fix the problems as they arise. That said, if anyone has ideas
I'm all ears. The image delete backlogs are always huge.

Erica
User:Fang Aili on various Wikimedia