[Foundation-l] Fundraising idea

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 18:08:27 UTC 2006

lars wrote:
> Anthony wrote:
>

>>This a good point, and one the board should think long and hard about.
>>I was somewhat disturbed by the fact that "money" received the
>>largest value under "opportunities" during the SWOT exercise.
>

> Please don't over-interpret the report from that SWOT exercise.
> Money was not given "the largest value", it was the term mentioned
> by most of the participants.  That only means it is the least
> original idea, one that everybody can think of.  Really original
> ideas, such as "Wikipedia can change the way humans breath oxygen"
> would only be mentioned by very few participants, and could be
> completely wrong, or could be completely revolutionary.  The most
> interesting and important aspects are probably somewhere at the
> middle of this scale, between radical and trivial.
>

>>That said, I think there is a lot that could be done by the
>>foundation, if only the foundation had more money.
>

> No, I don't agree.  This is the trap I'm warning against.  You are
> about to fall into it.  Rather than paying more programmers, we
> should think of ways that more programmers can be stimulated to
> contribute for free.

By the way, we should also think of ways that more editors can be
stimulated to help on OTRS for free.

We have a need for people to help on press inquiries as well.

We apparently also lack help for writing press releases.

Volunteers welcome. And ideas to stimulate them as well ;)

Ant

  Today that can be quite difficult, because