[Foundation-l] Fwd: NYTimes.com: African Languages Grow as a Wikipedia Pr...

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Aug 30 17:58:44 UTC 2006

Delirium wrote:
> A non-paternalistic attitude would be to treat African languages like we
> treat all other languages.  Even though quite a few Westerners are
> interested in the subject of spreading information in China, for
> example, the Chinese-language projects have been run by Chinese speakers.

Ok.  But that's because there *is* a Chinese community, quite healthy
and active.

It is a bit harder when, 5 years on, we seen little signs of life, and
some good ideas about why we don't see signs of life.  In such cases, I
think it is not paternalistic to think about how we can proactively help
to create a community there.  A community, I hasten to add, of native
speakers.

--Jimbo