[Foundation-l] bylaws (second call)

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 13 23:33:53 UTC 2006

Erik Zachte wrote:
> Anthere:
>
>>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bylaws_update
>>
>>It is still here.
>>new text is proposed. Please comment.
>>
>>This text, amongst other things, removes the notion of membership. If
>>you do not comment, nor propose another way to handle membership, the
>>Foundation will not legally have members. You will not be Foundation
>>members.
>>
>>Another issue I think matters is making it even clearer what our mission
>>is. I think we all agree we are working so that our content stays
>>available to the largest number of people on earth. We aim at lowering
>>the barriers of language (in being multilingual) as well as financial
>>barriers. And we seek reusability as a dogma.
>>

> **Board involvement**
>
> I would like to thank Anthere for all the time she spends on keeping the
> community involved in foundation issues. One of the reasons that she is so
> busy may well be that some other board members are less involved in this.
>
> I wholly concur with GerardM's statement that there is always more to do for
> a board member than time allows. Not the least to keep communication
> channels open in both directions, to the community at large, to committees,
> projects, external organisations (with others of course).
>
> Being part of the community, instead of just overseeing it from a distance,
> takes time, a whole lot of it. This is different from normal spare-time
> Wikimedia involvement of any volunteer: many of those discussions will be
> from the perspective of a board member, explaining decisions and I would
> hope proposals for decisions, asking for input and feedback. How can one
> honestly expect a person to be part of and represent the community if he or
> she spends just a few hours a week on that task? Somehow people seem to
> think that organising a global movement at our scale can be done as a
> pasttime?
>
> **Purpose of Bylaws**
>
> About the Bylaws: can someone explain to me what the Bylaws are for? I would
> think laws, and bylaws for that matter, serve at least two purposes:
>
> 1 Serve as binding guidelines for conduct, in other words communicate wanted
> and unwanted behaviour a priori.
> 2 Act as a final frame of reference a posteriori for how to resolve
> conflict, when disputes arise over these guidelines.
>
> A lawyer can certainly improve on these impromptu definitions.
>
> 1 Is always useful, even when all affairs are conducted in harmony. If we
> decide on wanted behaviour lets put it down to writing.
> 2 Is what laws tend to be associated with in the first place. They give
> guidance in times of conflict, be it between nations, an individual and a
> state, a board and a community, etc. They form a frame of reference that
> (hopefully) is still recognized by contesting parties a posteriori, and if
> not, at least serves to show that the party in power is consistent in its
> behaviour.

> [...]

Just a small comment right now. These new bylaws have been proposed by
Brad several months ago, with some minor modifications from me. They
have stand since then on the board wiki. With no approval from the board
in spite of a couple of attempts.

When the issue was raised up on this very list maybe a month or so ago,
several people complained with the idea the Foundation would not have
anymore members, and some asked me that these bylaws be made available
publicly. I consequently posted them on meta (the anon is me, I was not
from my computer and did not care log-in). This text is the copy of the
one currently on the board wiki.

ant