[Foundation-l] board candidacies

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 16:20:09 UTC 2006

Hoi,
There is a big difference between how "it should" and "how it is". For all
kinds of reasons, there is a big NEED and EXPECTATION that a WMF board
member spends a lot of time on the organisational matters of the board. Not
only is there the need to communicate in order to come to the strategy of
the foundation, it is also expected that board members are part of
committees and play an active part in these. I have heard horror stories
where board members were denied access to information of "committees" and it
is therefore understandable that these invisible organisational units are
considered to operate in stealth mode.

At this moment the organisation is very much in flux. Not only has Angela
decided to quit, Brad is finding his way in the murky dealings of the WMF
organisation, the committees pronounce very much that they are only starting
to get going. To top it off, many of the current people who are up for
election for the board are manifestly unsuited to the task because of their
narrow minded platform.

When it is said that a board member only needs to spend "only" a few hours a
week on this function, the reality is very much ignored. By expressing that
this "should be the case" and by not indicating what needs to be done to
make this happen, I am afraid that false expectations are raised. At this
time, being a board member seems to be the kind of activity that eats up all
the time that you can throw at it. It has relatively little to do with any
one project and as Anthere says, it is hard work for little recognition.

I wish all future board members well, but I hope that none are chosen
because of their ideas on how the English Wikipedia can be improved. They do
not understand what is needed.

Thanks,
    GerardM