[Foundation-l] board candidacies

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Thu Aug 10 17:41:23 UTC 2006

On 8/10/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> As for project representation, I don't think board members should be
> representing individual projects in the first place.  Wikipedia is by
> far the largest and most successful project, so it doesn't surprise me
> that board candidates use that project for their discussion pages.

By the way, I also think this has a lot to do with the fact that this
election appears to be a winner-takes-all election of a single seat
(*).  Having representatives from different languages/projects doesn't
make sense when there are only two elected members.

Almost all the discussion on this very list takes place in English.  I
don't know what percentage of people who discuss on this list
participate primarily on Wikipedia, but I'd guess it's at least a
simple majority.  Changing that, I believe, would require a major
overhaul of the entire organizational structure of Wikimedia.  But I
suppose I shouldn't make such comments without first knowing what that
percentage really is.

(*) Although, it says on the election page "at least one" seat.