National chapters (was Re: [Foundation-l] UK Wikimedia Foundation notes)

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Mar 28 19:19:43 UTC 2005

David Gerard wrote:
> Why are sr:, hr: and bs: still separate wikis, despite the languages being
> barely different than British and American? (And Cantonese still hasn't got
> a wiki ...)
>
> (I can guess the answers: they're called separate languages for obvious
> local political reasons, and the participants have no interest in merging
> them.)

I think it's a bit worse than that on our part.  I think it just
happened by accident historically, and they have all continued forward
in a state of general neglect.  I would strongly support a merger of
these to whatever extent is practical.  (There is a problem of script
for 2 of the 3, as I recall, and I don't know how if there's a simple
machine solution.)

--Jimbo