[Foundation-l] Quick thoughts on fundraising

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 04:01:43 UTC 2004

--- Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> I'd rather it let me turn them off regardless of subscription
> status---if I subscribe it will be a voluntary donation to help
> Wikimedia because I feel it deserves my money.  Trying to annoy me into
> giving money is irritating, because I'm *already* donating my time to
> help create this encyclopedia.  If I want to donate money as well, or
> don't want to, that's my business, but it's certainly not money
> Wikimedia "deserves", given that they're not paying me for my content.

We recognize voluntary active members as valid and full members of the
Wikimedia Foundation. So letting them turn off the notice as well is fine, IMO.
It it the *readers* who should pay the great majority of the bills since, as
you rightly state, editors already contribute.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)