[Foundation-l] Re: Official Wikimedia roadmap?

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 11:39:41 UTC 2004

I certainly agree on the principle. Practically, some thoughts were
already given by Danny and Sj on this if I remember well, and there was
already some work done in that perspective, when I suggested we create
the hardware requirement page so as to help Mav in his budgeting work.

There is one point on which I do not agree with you though. It has to do
with the projects launching typically.

If we do what you suggest (ie, indicating the board planned road, to be
reviewed/approved by the community), it implies we are having a top down
approach entirely. Besides, it makes it appear we have already taken
decisions in our mind of what to do and what not to do, even though we
may just be thinking of it.

For example, you seem to suggest that 1) the board should indicates its
desire for a wikinews project (as a good idea to pursue... which implies
there already is a good and definitive description of the project to be
based our decision upon), then that 2) the project should be reviewed
and approved by the community.

It seems to me this approach is PRECISELY the one which was recently
rejected and that there was a general desire for the community to be the
motor of road map.

Hence, though I definitly have some opinions myself, I will prefer to
have this road map collectively written, rather than the board giving a
strong steering direction.

In this, we differ very much :-)

Anthere