[Foundation-l] Delay in press release

Sj 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 20:13:19 UTC 2004

Hi Michael,

Thanks again for coordinating this.  :)
So people should start mailing the press tonight at 2400 UTC?  There is
a global press-release-log at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Press_release_logbook ;
please note which groups you plan to contact there before you contact them, and
then verify you've done so (with a timestamp) once you've send the letter.

--Sj

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:09:08 -0700, Michael Snow
<wikipedia at earthlink.net> wrote:
> In connection with the upcoming press release celebrating one million
> Wikipedia articles, we are working to translate not only the press
> release itself, but also make the Wikimedia Foundation website available
> in languages other than English. This is needed for us to make the best
> use of the publicity and also to help our fundraising efforts. However,
> this project will carry us through the weekend.
>
> Therefore, at the request of the Board of Trustees, I am delaying the
> distribution of the press release until Monday, September 20. That will
> be the day for the official announcement, although we may actually reach
> the million-article milestone earlier. This will allow us sufficient
> time to get things ready in as many languages as possible. Also, it may
> be helpful to have the press release come at the beginning of the weekly
> news cycle, as this may allow for better exposure over the course of the
> week.
>
> Please pass this on to your respective projects and anyone who is
> planning to help with this effort. In the meantime, everyone who will
> help distribute the press release could make good use of the time to
> identify the right contact people at the media organizations you plan to
> send the press release to.
>
> --Michael Snow

+sj+