[Foundation-l] Re: Proposal for multilingual coordination on foundation website

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sun Sep 19 07:48:15 UTC 2004

<snip>
> *the title being in original language is problematic. If the original
> language is in japanese, that means all I will see from this page title
> is ?????/fr.
> I fear it is not very informative to me to help me guess what is on the
> page.

Well, if you don't understand japanese, you'll need to wait for en: or
fr: or <insert languages you speak here> translation anyway :) So not
knowing what the title means isn't that harmful, is it?

And actually, we could also do something like: create [[My page/fr:]]
as a redirect to [[Ma page]]. We'll then know that ''My page'' does
exist in french, make it easy to find it through the redirect, but
still have a meaningful title.
And/or, for ''static'' pages, once translated, we can move'em, and if
required use bots to fix links (or fix manually)

> *at least on the wmf site, I can not really say which article is the
> original one. Languages are alternatively worked on.
<snip>

But at some point you need to decide ONE version is the base one, imo.
Else, when we'll have 25+ languages, it'll be a real ugly mess to
follow changes. For instance en: makes a draft, translated in fr: ja:
de:, then ja: gets an idea, changes something in ja:, other languages
need to synch, then de: had another idea and changed something else
and.... you get the point :)

Ryo