[Foundation-l] Re: domain name administrator--> Trust level

Sj 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 05:57:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 19:02 -0700 (PDT), <chris_mahan at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Technical and financial decisions are two different things imho.
> > Technical responsability Walter is mentionning is currently typically
> > one some developers are trusted to do I think.
> > However, the financial responsability mentionned is right now only
> > limited to Jimbo and perhaps to our treasurer.

The bulk of financial decisions (regular renewals) could be planned
far in advance
and cleared, en masse, with a financial officer.  A small emergency fund as mav
mentioned should suffice for unexpected needs.

> > A few questions are
> > * Do we have a problem with our domain names handling ?
yes.

> > * Is there a need to have one person in charge of this ?
no; let every eager person you can find help; but one point-person at
any given moment.  See my stock reply below. :-)

Chris Mahan:
> I peronally think that the job is highly critical, and should not be
> left to a volunteer. You should either hire someone who does this
> already for a living, as a professional, or jimbo should handpick

Motivated volunteers can do an excellent job with highly critical tasks.
It is nevertheless important to avoid single points of failure.  While I
support Walter wholeheartedly as someone to manage domain issues,
the primary work of such a manager would be to make sure the relevant
information was organized and available to others, so that they could take
up slack as needed.

A small group of interested people, one of whom at any given time is
the point person for any sudden decisions, is definitely needed.  A
one-person group is better than none; larger would be better still.

--
+sj+