[Foundation-l] Re: create new function; domain name administrator

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Tue Sep 14 10:30:28 UTC 2004

Anthere <anthere9 at ...> writes:

> Yo. Fully agree with you on this Walter.
>
> Well, I have been seeing you taking care of such matters for perhaps 2
> years now, as well as setting portal pages for country domain name.
>
> I would be personnally delighted that you be this person responsible of
> domain names.
>
> What do you think ? Would you be interested ? What do other people think ?
>
> Anthere

I must say that this was not my intension. I highly appreciate that you
nominated and support my for this and also the support from the others.

But am not sure of it possible for my to do this. This function would be a
highly trusted function.

The full setup;
The domain name administrator would be;
- the key holder of Wikimedia; has access to all domain settings. Change DNS,
whois info and so. Be the contact person for that domain. Has the authority to
renew domain names and buy new if needed and access to Wikimedia funds . Also
the person who does the transfer of domains now owned by friends of Wikipedia.
Can also have a role regarding squatted domains. Maintaining a  public page
whit a overview of all domains whit all useful info about those domains. In
direct contact and under supervision of a core Wikimedia foundation person.

Like a sysop (at least like that function exist on the dutch Wiki), he is a
servant of the community and can only act for so far those actions are
authorized by a list of rules defined by the Wikimedia foundation and supported
by the community. Autonomous decision for so far not granted by earlier
established rules are strictly forbidden.

+ The benefit of this setup is that one person can do his job without the need
to ask to other persons to do things, have wait for responds. Can directly
give  responds to requests.

- The down side is that you put a lot of trust and potential power whit one
person.

A light version;
The "domain name administrator" is only a intermediary.  Is the contact person
for domain name related requests for all projects. Maintains a list of all
domains, there expire data, there status and use, sounds alarm when the are
close to there expire data, keeps other people annoying until whatever needs to
be done is done. Has a direct contact whit the people of the Wikimedia who can
actually do something.

+ No security risk because the "domain name administrator" has no powers except
the power of e-mail.
- The usefulness is doubtful. If the function only is to act like a gateway to
whoever does it really you can ask why bother.

I am willing to do it. But i am not very much in favor of the light version
because you can not really do anything.

Greetings,
Walter Vermeir