[Foundation-l] Re: Launch of the Wikimedia Commons

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Sep 9 10:23:56 UTC 2004

Ashar Voultoiz wrote:
> In conclusion, the "commons" idea have been around for sometime now, we
> should not start things in a hurry and hope to fix it later. It will
> just give us a LOT more works. Instead I think we should carefully plan
> the project needs, do and don't, find an already existent solution and
> then either use it or enhance it (that's what GPL softwares are all about).

While I very much understand and agree with what you're saying, the
situation is that this is a major pressing need *today*, and there's
much demand for even this step forward.  If there is some other software
that you know about which we could evaluate and test this week, and install
next week, that'd be a good thing.  But in the meantime, we had to just
get the ball rolling.

--Jimbo