[Foundation-l] Wikinews licensing

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Thu Oct 28 08:17:00 UTC 2004

There's currently a non-binding straw poll about the licensing of Wikinews
articles, should the project launch under the Wikimedia umbrella:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews/License_straw_poll

I'd like to know two things:

1) What is the position of the board on projects using a licensing option
other than the GFDL? Specifically, what is the opinion of the board on
dual-licensing GFDL and CC-BY, and possibly other licenses?

2) Would a real vote on the license, if the project launches, be
acceptable?

The reason this has come up is that some people feel that the GFDL does
not allow for large enough use of Wikinews articles, and that dual
licensing would address this. Personally, I'm not a big fan of dual (or
multi) licensing, but will accept whatever the community decides.

I point out, in case this isn't clear, that dual licensing would very
likely prevent the direct inclusion of materials from other Wikimedia
projects, although not the other way around.

So I'd like to know where the Foundation stands on this issue. I'm mostly
interested in moving forward on this point, not in any particular option
(my personal favorite, the public domain, has relatively little support).

Regards,

Erik