[Foundation-l] Interwiki Cooperation; NSK

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Wed Oct 27 21:06:48 UTC 2004

On 27 Oct 2004, at 20:26, Ray Saintonge wrote:

> Jens Ropers wrote:
>
>> 3. You suspect that people dislike you and that they do so because
>> they somehow don't want you to have your own wikis.
>> Lemme put it like this:
>> Imagine some person travelled to the U.S. Now imagine that it turns
>> out that that person didn't actually come as an immigrant, and didn't
>> come to settle in and become a citizen of the country but rather
>> proceeded to lecture the citizens of the U.S. that the Declaration of
>> Independence and all these old handwritten papers were fundamentally
>> unimportant because all men are not created equal and actually,
>> certain people are per se inferior and not to be trusted and it is ok
>> to rape and murder them and plunder their houses, whereas others are
>> really not to be blamed of anything of any consequence, whatever
>> happens and, err... actually...
>
> To put this more starkly:  Imagine visiting a country that has a known
> reputation for human rights violation.  You meet with a small group of
> people and the conversation turns to the human rights situation where
> you have tremendous ideas about what THEY can do to improve things.
> Some of the group show a great deal of enthusiasm about your
> proposals.  After the conversation ends you go to the airport and
> home.  You later receive a message that one of the people in the group
> was an incognito agent for the government who subsequently arranged
> for the arrest and re-education of some of the group.  What
> responsibility would you accept for that situation?
>
> Ec

I guess I see what you're saying there "having a stake in the outcome".
And morally, yea, I maybe should accept some responsibility then but
the stark reality there is that it really wouldn't matter whether or
not I felt bad in the said scenario, because my attitude would pretty
much have zilch impact on the other's predicament. Again, the question
of having or not having a stake in the outcome is what it runs down to.
Anyway, I don't really want to pursue this particular thread further,
because it concerns point (3) of this email:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2004-October/
001375.html -- which was really just something that veered off into an
ironic aside.

-- ropers [[en:User:Ropers]]
     www.ropersonline.com