[Foundation-l] Wikijunior - Wikispecies, Mk 2?

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 08:39:33 UTC 2004

Rebecca wrote:
> The minutes of the last board meeting suggested that money was being
> accepted to found a Wikijunior project.

The proposal is still under discussion. Whether Wikijunior will be a
separate project has not been decided by the board. The only thing the
board has approved was the proposal that was sent to the Beck
Foundation, and the only commitment mentioned in that was to:

"release a pamphlet of 48 full-color pages (8½" x 11") on a topic
related to animals by December 2005."

This is currently no more than a Wikireader, something that does not
need a project-wide vote in my opinion. There have already been
various print projects not formally approved by the board, and I don't
view Wikijunior _at this stage_ as anything more than that. There is a
possibility it could be more, and that it might end up being a
separate site, but whether than happens ought to be subject to the
same conditions that Wikinews and other proposed projects will be.
Having said that, I'm not sure starting a children's Wikipedia would
be a separate project any more than starting new language Wikipedias
are, and those are decided at the moment by developers, not by the
board. There was certainly no board approval for the recently started
projects in Old English or Gothic.

Angela.