[Foundation-l] wikinews and other stuff

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 18:00:16 UTC 2004

--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
> Currently I'm leaning towards it for reasons of compatibility. But I'd
> really like to ask Jimmy to give us a quick update on where the talks with
> the FSF and the Creative Commons folk stand on making the FDL 2.0 CC-SA-
> compatible.

This is very important; I just had somebody contact me about using one of my
dual-licensed (FDL / cc-by-sa) images in a book he is writing and I had to warm
him against using the image under the GNU-FDL since its mass print requirements
are relatively onerous (printing all 7 pages of the FDL being the worst part).

A GNU FDL / cc-by-sa dual licensing scheme could be used for Wikinews... But
this would eliminate the option of re-incorporating third party improvements
back into Wikinews and would also make it impractical to incorporate Wikipedia
content into Wikinews for background content (since in both cases the third
party/Wikipedia users would have to agree to dual-license their work). So what
we really need is GNU FDL and cc-by-sa compatibility ASAP.

> Yes, which is why I initially proposed Wikimedia Commons to include
> what is currently on Wikisource. I still think the two should be merged.

As do I.

> A migration to single sign-on is being worked on.

This is also very important.

</aol>

-- mav