[Foundation-l] Wiki translations of Greek and Roman texts

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Oct 15 16:33:55 UTC 2004

Ray Saintonge wrote:

> Wikimedia does not do a good job with footnotes.  Having to srcoll way
> down to the bottom of the page to see a footnote can be very
> inconvenient with a long text.  It's often a good thing to be able to
> see both the referring text and the footnote at the same time.  Again,
> this is something where having synchronized boxes would be very helpful.

I think we may also want to extend the concept of footnoes, given that
we have the technology to do so.  In print, a footnote follows the
section it's footnoting, and what exactly preceding portion to refers to
is not actually specified.  This makes it difficult for
densely-footnoted texts to figure out what is going on.  Since this is
the intarweb, we can annotate *regions* of text, even overlapping
regions.  This would be useful in Wikipedia proper as well, as you could
annotate a particular section as "this is phrased this way because of
the following issue" and be exactly clear what you're referring to.

I *seem* to recall someone already proposed something like this, and
even had a page at meta about it, but I can't find it (I suppose I could
be imagining things).

-Mark