[Foundation-l] Wiki translations of Greek and Roman texts

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Thu Oct 14 20:21:42 UTC 2004

On 14 Oct 2004, at 21:32, Yann Forget wrote:

> Le Thursday 14 October 2004 19:46, Delirium a écrit :
>> A related project that's been mentioned on this list is support for
>> annotations (a footnote-like system), which I think any translation
>> project would need---there are often nuances and controversies in
>> translation that can't be fully resolved in the text, but should be
>> noted for those who are interested (and there are likely to be so many
>> that they need to be noted as attachments to the text like footnotes,
>> not scattered on the talk page).
>
> There is no possibility to have footnotes now in MediaWiki like it
> exists in
> LaTeX. That would be a must for this kind of texts.
>
>> -Mark
>
> Regards,
> Yann

While it's not on par with LaTeX footnotes, (and while few people are
aware of this) the possibility to use footnotes in Wikipedia/MediaWiki
does exist:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Footnotes
It works quite well, actually.

Here
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tse_Hsi#Names
is an example of heavy use of such annotation (admittedly, they're not
proper ''foot''notes here).

-- ropers [[en:User:Ropers]]
     www.ropersonline.com